Morning Cigar Question - What is your favorite drink to accompany?
John D. Rimmer
2004-10-16 13:32:41 UTC
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.

I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.

Thanks!

John
Jonathan Acey Albert
2004-10-16 13:40:49 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
Same drink every AM, cigar or not (but it tends to work with cigars)...coffee,
sweet and black.
--
__o Jonathan Acey Albert, M.D.
_ \<,_ "The art of medicine is in amusing the patient while
(_)/ (_) nature affects the cure." - Voltaire
Aapo
2004-10-16 13:45:47 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
I seldom drink coffee, which would fill nicely the mentioned function.
My choice, OTOH, is tea, the way god meant it to be drunk; Earl Grey,
sugar and milk.

-Aapo
CW
2004-10-16 15:54:28 UTC
Black Kenya AA and a Partagas Short, but I'm not normal;O!
PadronMan©®
2004-10-16 16:00:09 UTC
Black coffee. Have several varieties of Mayorga coffee and the one I am
hooked on now is the Genuine Counterfeit Cuban blend. Mmmmmmm mmmmmmm

--
PadronMan©®

SS 00,01,02,03
SoBad Herf 2000
Las Vegas Cigar Summit 2003,2004
SoCal Herf 00,01,02
LCDH Grand Opening Herf TJ, Mex
Rodolfo Toboada Retirement Event
John
Miss Elaine Eos
2004-10-16 16:18:32 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar?
Bourbon.

;^D
--
Please take off your shoes before arriving at my in-box.
Lots of good cigar info, the ASC Birthday page, FAQs, vendors and more at
<http://www.ManyFriends.com/Cigars/>
Halbert
2004-10-16 17:03:28 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is
a mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Coffee or espresso is great with Punch Rothschild XX. I can't think of any
other early morning drink to have with cigars. I know someone who drinks
only ice water with his cigars, no matter what time of day. Maybe, he's
reviewing each and every one, because I can't imagine it's as enjoyable as
cigars with coffee, tea, soft drinks, wine, mixed drinks, whatever. . .
Ray
2004-10-16 17:22:43 UTC
Usually coffee with milk, no sugar. Sometimes a Diet Coke. Sometimes a Bloody
Mary.....

Ray

Many people know who I am. I am not one of them. (Salvador Dali)
Alex W.
2004-10-16 17:57:34 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar?
I'm assuming it is a
Post by John D. Rimmer
mild-med smoke.
Coffee, either a Cuban Serrano or an Ethiopian Yirgacheffe
in my espresso machine. If I can be bothered to run a pot
of filter coffee, I tend to go with a Columbian Supremo or
an Australian Skybury.

To smoke, usually a Dominican of some description.
Hutch
2004-10-16 18:36:18 UTC
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:32:41 GMT, "John D. Rimmer"
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
Coffee w/ French Vanilla creamer :)
Cinnamon Latte (no foam)

And yes to mild-medium.....used to be Buteras and DR Davidoffs,
nowadays more often a QdO GC....sometimes a Reyes.
hogg
2004-10-17 00:01:41 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
Coffee w/ French Vanilla creamer :)
Cinnamon Latte (no foam)
And yes to mild-medium.....used to be Buteras and DR Davidoffs,
nowadays more often a QdO GC....sometimes a Reyes.
I've tried both of these recently and they both kicked my ass. I'm
losing my touch. And looking for some GC's :)
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-16 18:37:57 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar?
A doppio ristretto, usually from Costa Rica central valley mountain grown
coffee, medium roasted, fine grind, Volvic water, Saeco espresso machine.

And then another doppio...
TimE
2004-10-17 02:09:51 UTC
Post by François Yves Le Gal
A doppio ristretto
Francois, excuse me for being dumb AND lazy but what is this?
Halbert
2004-10-17 02:10:14 UTC
Post by TimE
Post by François Yves Le Gal
A doppio ristretto
Francois, excuse me for being dumb AND lazy but what is this?
"Doppio" is a double and "ristretto" is espresso. But, from what I
remember, it's not just a double expresso, but a double and
extra-concentrated (water diminished) espresso.
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 12:08:08 UTC
Quite correct.
Red Neckerson
2004-10-17 02:17:25 UTC
Some faggy frog drink. Probably with a pink umbrella.......
Halbert
2004-10-17 02:18:25 UTC
Post by Red Neckerson
Post by TimE
Post by Hutch
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:32:41 GMT, "John D. Rimmer"
A doppio ristretto
Francois, excuse me for being dumb AND lazy but what is this?
Some faggy frog drink. Probably with a pink umbrella.......
No, not really. It's a concentrated double espresso. And, it's not a faggy
frog drink, it's a walloping wop drink.
Marc J. Schneiderman
2004-10-17 14:39:00 UTC
Post by Halbert
No, not really. It's a concentrated double espresso. And, it's not a faggy
frog drink, it's a walloping wop drink.
Quite flavorful. Not your typical restaurant type colored water
espresso.
CigarBaron
Red Neckerson
2004-10-17 02:18:41 UTC
http://www.mendoza.hu/kavek.php
Halbert
Cool.
TimE
2004-10-17 02:44:03 UTC
Post by Red Neckerson
Post by TimE
Post by Hutch
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:32:41 GMT, "John D. Rimmer"
A doppio ristretto
Francois, excuse me for being dumb AND lazy but what is this?
http://www.mendoza.hu/kavek.php
I think I will stick with put the grounds in a basket and hit the brew
button :>)
Halbert
2004-10-17 02:42:57 UTC
Post by TimE
Post by Red Neckerson
Post by TimE
Post by Hutch
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:32:41 GMT, "John D. Rimmer"
A doppio ristretto
Francois, excuse me for being dumb AND lazy but what is this?
http://www.mendoza.hu/kavek.php
I think I will stick with put the grounds in a basket and hit the brew
button :>)
There's a word for people like you: Martha Stewart. OK, so it's not a word,
it's a name. Sue me. :)
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 12:10:59 UTC
Tsk, tsk.
Alex W.
2004-10-17 13:34:09 UTC
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:44:03 -0500, "TimE"
Post by TimE
I think I will stick with put the grounds in a basket and
hit the brew
Post by TimE
button :>)
Tsk, tsk.
Don't knock it, François -- he could be using a pod system.
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 13:41:37 UTC
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeccccccccccccccccccchhhhhhhhh!
Father Dale
2004-10-17 15:14:04 UTC
Post by TimE
button :>)
Tsk, tsk.
Don't knock it, François -- he could be using a pod system.
Mmm. Pods. For anyone who cares, I LOVE my Melitta coffee podder (not an
espresso pod machine). They're on sale cheap at Target. Took all my
willpower not to buy a second one yesterday, just to have....

fd3
TimL
OMG.....That's too funny!
GWB
2004-10-17 04:30:25 UTC
http://www.communitycoffee.com/ccc/Catalog_CS/coffee-detail/1830/premium-c
offee-blends/everyday-premium-coffees/dark-roast-whole-bean/
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 12:04:31 UTC
Post by TimE
Francois, excuse me for being dumb AND lazy but what is this?
Doppio ristretto means a double "restrained" espresso, where coffee has been
heavily packed, for maximum aroma extraction.

Requires a proper 10 bar+ espresso machine and perfectly roasted and ground
coffee. Don't ask for a ristretto at Starfuck's or at any other BozoCaffés.
Jeremy
2004-10-17 03:00:38 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar?
A , usually from Costa Rica central valley mountain grown
coffee, medium roasted, fine grind, Volvic water, Saeco espresso machine.
And then another doppio...
The best Cost Rican beans come from an area near Grecia, HW of San José.
The high mountain fields tend to produce less complex flavors, possibly
due to the frequent clouds reducing sunlight.

I tend to prefer the Kenyan AA peaberry or the mountain grown Cuban
peaberry, but that may be my tendency to concentrate on the nose. If I
want to get the jolt that a doppio provides, I will prepare it Greek
style, as it seems to have less of an acid finish than the espresso.

JJ
Halbert
2004-10-17 03:14:01 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar?
A , usually from Costa Rica central valley mountain grown
coffee, medium roasted, fine grind, Volvic water, Saeco espresso machine.
And then another doppio...
The best Cost Rican beans come from an area near Grecia, HW of San José.
The high mountain fields tend to produce less complex flavors, possibly
due to the frequent clouds reducing sunlight.
I tend to prefer the Kenyan AA peaberry or the mountain grown Cuban
peaberry, but that may be my tendency to concentrate on the nose. If I
want to get the jolt that a doppio provides, I will prepare it Greek
style, as it seems to have less of an acid finish than the espresso.
JJ
Well, percolate me with big black stick! Kenyan AA peaberry. Jesus H.
Christ, this is COFFEE we're talking about! Nose and nose! What is nose?

Coffee doesn't have no nose, boy. And the only acid finish you're gonna
have is when you hunker up to the porcelain throne.

- Sheriff Buford P. Alot, Montgomery, AL
Jeremy
2004-10-17 03:33:26 UTC
Post by Halbert
Well, percolate me with big black stick! Kenyan AA peaberry. Jesus H.
Christ, this is COFFEE we're talking about! Nose and nose! What is nose?
Coffee doesn't have no nose, boy. And the only acid finish you're gonna
have is when you hunker up to the porcelain throne.
- Sheriff Buford P. Alot, Montgomery, AL
Have you ever wished that coffee tasted as good as it smelled? Are you
happy with a black, acrid, sour mouthwash that triggers your peristaltic
reflex within seconds? Do you swig Nighttrain or Mad Dog 20/20,
disdaining aged Burgundy, Pinot Noir or Merlot?

I usually have ten or twelve kinds of coffee, tea, honey, cheese, wine,
and peppers.

Send snaily for a starter kit. Coffee appreciation 101 includes; African
peaberrys, Sumatran, Cuban, Costa Rican, Peruvian, Greek and Tanzanian.

The difference in coffees is as great as that between Guinness and Bud
Lite, although a better analogy would be the difference between
Theakston's Old Peculiar Cask Conditioned Draught and Erdinger Firantus
Weizen Bock, or a RASS and a Bad Frog.

JJ
Halbert
2004-10-17 03:43:59 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Post by Halbert
[...]
BTW, I love Guinness, but especially Old Peculiar. It was my favorite
post-hike drink in Lake District pubs.

I have to warn you that, although not a coffee snob, I like it strong and
black. (Follow ups to this are completely unecessary, as they are all too
obvious.)

I'll send the snaily shortly and hope that I can respond in kind. :)
Stephen McGrath
2004-10-17 06:39:14 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Post by Halbert
[...]
You know.... I used to think I enjoyed coffee. Something tells me I
only drink the stuff. <grin>

Stephen

Remove "ma" from email addy to reply.
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 12:24:33 UTC
Post by Jeremy
I usually have ten or twelve kinds of coffee, tea, honey, cheese, wine,
and peppers.
As I love freshly roasted coffee, I only have three kinds: mountain beans
from Costa Rica, Harrar Moka from Ethiopia and Maragogype from Guatemala or
Nicaragua. With the occasional Guadeloupe, Kona or Jamaica Blue Mountain .

Ditto for tea.

Now, cheese is a different story : a proper platter includes 12+ seasonal
varieties. Ditto for wine. And nearly the same for peppers and spices.
Agreed.
Alex W.
2004-10-17 13:35:26 UTC
Post by François Yves Le Gal
varieties. Ditto for wine. And nearly the same for peppers
and spices.

Now why do I get the suspicion that your actual selection of
cheeses will reveal a strong Franco-centric chauvinism?
:-)
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 13:43:28 UTC
Post by Alex W.
Now why do I get the suspicion that your actual selection of
cheeses will reveal a strong Franco-centric chauvinism?
:-)
Well, most of the world's best cheese come from France, but I always have a
soft spot for some farm Cheddar, aged Stilton, Alpages Gruyère, Emmental des
Grottes, Mozarella de Buffala and other foreign cheese.
Marc J. Schneiderman
2004-10-17 14:43:31 UTC
Post by François Yves Le Gal
Post by Alex W.
Now why do I get the suspicion that your actual selection of
cheeses will reveal a strong Franco-centric chauvinism?
:-)
Well, most of the world's best cheese come from France, but I always have a
soft spot for some farm Cheddar, aged Stilton, Alpages Gruyère, Emmental des
Grottes, Mozarella de Buffala and other foreign cheese.
For those interested, Marc L. at http://www.fromages.com/ can put
together a fine selection. And, he can ship if begged non pasteurized
cheeses (illegal in the USoA.)

CigarBaron
TimL
2004-10-17 16:05:59 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:43:31 -0400, "Marc J. Schneiderman"
Post by Marc J. Schneiderman
Post by François Yves Le Gal
Post by Alex W.
Now why do I get the suspicion that your actual selection of
cheeses will reveal a strong Franco-centric chauvinism?
:-)
Well, most of the world's best cheese come from France, but I always have a
soft spot for some farm Cheddar, aged Stilton, Alpages Gruyère, Emmental des
Grottes, Mozarella de Buffala and other foreign cheese.
For those interested, Marc L. at http://www.fromages.com/ can put
together a fine selection. And, he can ship if begged non pasteurized
cheeses
That's a website packed with information. Thanks! :o)

Let me see.....I now have Chimay beer (all types), Duuel beer,
Barbancourt Rhum (15 year old)........And tomorrow I pick up some
Chimay cheese...

Next on the list.....De Koninck Belgian and Orval Ale.

Next cooking experiment.....Truffles. (clueless at the moment) ;o)

Jeremy suggested I start with an egg dish to learn the flavor.
TimL...ASC is a wealth of knowledge!!
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 17:05:59 UTC
Post by TimL
Next cooking experiment.....Truffles. (clueless at the moment) ;o)
There are truffles and truffles. The two best are Italian Alba white
spring.autumn truffles (Tuber Magnatum) and French - mainly, but some really
nice ones also come from italy and Spain - black winter truffles (Tuber
Melanosporum). Fresh, of course, and from a reputable merchant - dunno if
there are some in Houston.

Both are *very* expensive - expect to pay at least USD 1,200 per pound of
Alba, and around USD 800 for black - but well worth it. Alba should be added
at the last minute, sliced paper thin, and half an ounce is more than enough
for a serving atop eggs or pasta. Melano commands larger quantities, either
diced and added to a recipe, or served whole: a couple of ounces per serving
is fine.

Summer black/brown truffle, or Tuber Aestivum, is a very distant second. It
can replace the Melanosporum in some recipes but isn't very perfumed or
complex.

Oh, and don't even consider Chinese truffles (Tuber Himalayense), which very
much look like the real thing but have very little taste, even when doctored
by some merchants who inject some artificial truffle flavors.
Post by TimL
Jeremy suggested I start with an egg dish to learn the flavor.
A very good suggestion. Try some scrambled eggs...

Here's a suggestion:

(per person)
2 large farm eggs
1/4 to 1/2 oz of Alba truffle
White sourdough bread
2 oz of raw butter
Olive oil
Sea salt or "Fleur de Sel"
Freshly ground pepper (black is better, white looks nicer)

A couple of days before:
Put the eggs and the truffle into a closed plastic container or a glass jar
Leave in a cool place

Then,
Thinly slice and gently toast the bread, leaving it white
Put 1 oz of butter with a dash of olive oil in a pan and heat
Add the bread and let it color on both sides
Reduce the heat and leave the bread hot
Break the eggs in a bowl and beat them with a fork
Melt half the remaining butter in a casserole, ramekin or saucepan -
preferably using a "bain marie" or double boiler
Add the eggs
Cook over low heat while continuously whisking the mix
When the eggs are nearly done, remove the pan from the range
Add the rest of the butter
Add salt and pepper to taste
Whisk for 30 seconds
Slice some white truffles on top of the mix
Cover the pan and leave it covered for a couple of minutes
Remove the bread from the pan and dry it with some absorbent paper
Serve the eggs with two slices of bread

Enjoy!

Scaling:
Same preparation, same proportions. Use a large pan and pour the mix into
individual ramekins when the eggs are nearly done.

The same recipe can be adapted to black truffles. Just slice one half of a 1
oz truffle very thinly, mince the other half. Add the minced part at the
start of cooking and the slices before serving. Use black pepper.

Variants: Separate the whites from the yolks, whip the whites before mixing
them back with the yolks. Use brioche (just toasted) or white sandwich bread
instead of sourdough. Add some fresh double cream instead of butter after
cooking. Serve into clean egg shells.
TimL
2004-10-17 17:26:44 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:05:59 +0200, François Yves Le Gal
Post by François Yves Le Gal
(per person)
2 large farm eggs
1/4 to 1/2 oz of Alba truffle
White sourdough bread
2 oz of raw butter
Olive oil
Sea salt or "Fleur de Sel"
Freshly ground pepper (black is better, white looks nicer)
Thanks....So I actually do not cook the thinly (garlic slicer) sliced
truffles. They only get warmed from the eggs? Guess when I cut one
of these I'll understand more. They seemed very dense and hard when I
shook them in the jar.

I found white and black truffles but only in a jar with Olive oil?
One about the size of quarter is 30 bucks or so. Pricey!
TimL
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 17:34:13 UTC
Post by TimL
Thanks....So I actually do not cook the thinly (garlic slicer) sliced
truffles. They only get warmed from the eggs?
Yes, white truffles shouldn't be cooked. Black truffles can.
What kind of truffles?
TimL
Roland was the brand I think?
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 18:35:09 UTC
Post by TimL
Roland was the brand I think?
Don't look at brands, look at what's inside: the exact type of truffles.

Their website at
http://www.rolandfood.com/products/?sku=46120&details=on&cat_id=21
doesn't specify the exact type, so I must presume they are sub par Chiense
or el cheapo brumales canned and sterilized. Not the real thing by far.
TimL
2004-10-17 19:03:44 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:35:09 +0200, François Yves Le Gal
Post by François Yves Le Gal
Post by TimL
Roland was the brand I think?
Don't look at brands, look at what's inside: the exact type of truffles.
Their website at
http://www.rolandfood.com/products/?sku=46120&details=on&cat_id=21
doesn't specify the exact type, so I must presume they are sub par Chiense
or el cheapo brumales canned and sterilized. Not the real thing by far.
Yeah,..that's the can. But not what I was considering. I'll have to
came from Italy and France and were in glass jars.

The food network has a great cooking show call the "Iron Chef. About
a year and a half ago the main ingredient was truffles. It was a
fantastic show explaining the origin of truffles.
--
TimL

Jeremy
2004-10-17 18:29:42 UTC
Great recipe. Two suggestions, the eggs should be at room temperature
before cooking and I would add either a little lovage or Greek oregano.

BTW, you might want to look at <http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com/>
Daniel is a great guy doing some interesting things.

JJ
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 18:47:38 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Two suggestions, the eggs should be at room temperature
before cooking
As always. Ditto with butter.
Hmmm. Truffles should stand on their own IMO.
Mickey
What?!? No Velveeta? No aerosol cheese? What's the matter with you? ;-)
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 17:06:32 UTC
Post by Mickey
What?!? No Velveeta? No aerosol cheese? What's the matter with you? ;-)
We're discussing cheese, aren't we?
:-)
Jeremy
2004-10-17 18:22:37 UTC
Post by François Yves Le Gal
Post by Jeremy
I usually have ten or twelve kinds of coffee, tea, honey, cheese, wine,
and peppers.
As I love freshly roasted coffee, I only have three kinds: mountain beans
from Costa Rica, Harrar Moka from Ethiopia and Maragogype from Guatemala or
Nicaragua. With the occasional Guadeloupe, Kona or Jamaica Blue Mountain .
Ditto for tea.
I had forgotten about the Ethiopian coffees, thanks for the reminder.

Even the Estate Blue Mountain does not appeal to me as much as the
central African types, and the price differential is ridiculous.

ONe coffee I miss is the Royal Kona.

When it comes to tea and cheese; the Mountains of the Moon, Serendib
Estate Ceylon, and Kwazulu are my favorite brews , but the quality
varies radically, year to year.
Cheese here is almost always wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for
some obscure reason, but we do have a fairly good selection, but nothing
like a cheese shop in the UK :-)

JJ
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 12:18:46 UTC
Post by Jeremy
The best Cost Rican beans come from an area near Grecia, HW of San José.
Could very well be for US roast/medium grind, but not for medium
roast/espresso grind. Beans from plains show too much acidity when used in a
proper espresso machine.
Post by Jeremy
The high mountain fields tend to produce less complex flavors, possibly
due to the frequent clouds reducing sunlight.
Extraction is the keyword here.
Post by Jeremy
I tend to prefer the Kenyan AA peaberry or the mountain grown Cuban
peaberry, but that may be my tendency to concentrate on the nose.
Peaberry designates a shape of fruit, rounded, small and nearly seamless.
Such beans can be excellent for drip coffee, but, once again, not for
espresso.
Post by Jeremy
If I
want to get the jolt that a doppio provides, I will prepare it Greek
style
Greek - or Turkish - style is another story altogether, with a deeper roast
and finer grind of blended coffee. Oh, and a properly prepared Greek coffee
can be excellent.
Post by Jeremy
as it seems to have less of an acid finish than the espresso.
Bingo: if your espresso ends with an acid finish, you're not using the right
combination of beans/roasting/grinding/water/machine/...
Jeremy
2004-10-17 18:35:39 UTC
Post by François Yves Le Gal
Post by Jeremy
The best Cost Rican beans come from an area near Grecia, HW of San José.
Could very well be for US roast/medium grind, but not for medium
roast/espresso grind. Beans from plains show too much acidity when used in a
proper espresso machine.
Grecia is not on the plains, but below what is considered the mountain
grown area. It has a volcanic ash soil that produces the best flavors in
the beans and also in many other plants grown there.

It is an interesting place and its church is unique, being built from a
mistaken delivery of ship parts that were meant to go to Greece.
Rudi of Vegas de Santiago lives a mile or two away and the limes in his
garden grow almost to the size of grapefruit.

I need to go back very soon.

JJ
Alex W.
2004-10-17 12:18:50 UTC
Post by Jeremy
due to the frequent clouds reducing sunlight.
Each to his own. I rather enjoy highland CR coffee from the
Tres Rios region. An excellent daytime coffee, IMHO.
Post by Jeremy
style, as it seems to have less of an acid finish than the
espresso.

Strange, that. I find that with a properly prepared
espresso, there is less acid than with a Greek/Turkish
coffee where the ground is allowed to steep and the less
aromatic compounds enter the drink.
Marc J. Schneiderman
2004-10-17 14:40:30 UTC
Post by Jeremy
I tend to prefer the Kenyan AA peaberry or the mountain grown Cuban
peaberry, but that may be my tendency to concentrate on the nose.
JJ turned me on to this. A Baroness favorite (she loves her coffee.)
CigarBaron
Mickey
2004-10-17 16:12:21 UTC
Post by Marc J. Schneiderman
Post by Jeremy
I tend to prefer the Kenyan AA peaberry or the mountain grown Cuban
peaberry, but that may be my tendency to concentrate on the nose.
JJ turned me on to this. A Baroness favorite (she loves her coffee.)
CigarBaron
I tend to love the peaberry coffees myself, especially Tanzanian peaberry,
or Kauai peaberry.

Mickey
Nathan Zimmerman
2004-10-16 19:06:10 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
I really enjoy coffee and the Sunday paper with a cigar on Sunday
mornings. I have been on a self imposed hiatus lately as I am changing
my life insurance company, but I look forward to a cigar on a Sunday
following the completion of the changeover.

Batmang
--
Replace "invalid" with "net" to reply

A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. ---Yogi Berra
Steve Costa
2004-10-16 21:10:12 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
A cup of freshly brewed Honduran coffed with a mild Honduran made Excalibur.
Ahhhh.....

SC
BTORVIK2
2004-10-16 21:26:58 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar?
A double vodka martini.

bernie...but I generally don't smoke in the morning. :-)
Marc J. Schneiderman
2004-10-17 14:44:23 UTC
Post by BTORVIK2
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar?
A double vodka martini.
bernie...but I generally don't smoke in the morning. :-)
I generally don't drink in the morning but I do have an occasion cigar
:-)
CigarBaron
James
2004-10-16 22:03:52 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
Coffee with a dash of half n half and some sugar.

-James

Remove the _CATION to send email
Marc J. Schneiderman
2004-10-17 14:46:05 UTC
Post by James
Coffee with a dash of half n half and some sugar.
-James
Remove the _CATION to send email
Heavy cream dude!

CigarBaron
TimL
Absolutely! ;o) Heavy cream in my coffee.
Mickey
2004-10-17 00:52:19 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
Coffee with 2% milk and 2 sugars. All day long.... ;-)

Mickey
Halbert
How can you pollute your coffee with milk and sugar? ;)
Mickey
2004-10-17 02:28:37 UTC
Post by Halbert
Post by Mickey
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
Coffee with 2% milk and 2 sugars. All day long.... ;-)
How can you pollute your coffee with milk and sugar? ;)
Because I drink it all day long. If I drank it black all day, I'd get ulcers
in what was left of my stomach lining.
Halbert
Ouch!
Father Dale
2004-10-17 03:12:10 UTC
Post by Mickey
Post by Halbert
Post by Mickey
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
Coffee with 2% milk and 2 sugars. All day long.... ;-)
How can you pollute your coffee with milk and sugar? ;)
Because I drink it all day long. If I drank it black all day, I'd get ulcers
in what was left of my stomach lining.
While I was in New Zealand, I got addicted to what they called a "flat
white", which, if I remember correctly, is a double shot of espresso
with steamed milk on top. Don't remember -- a barista recommended it to
me, I liked it, and ordered it at least once a day for the next week in
four or five different places. I asked for one in Sydney and got a "cafe
americano" instead, which sucked, so I never asked for another one in Oz.
When I came back here, I asked all the local coffee houses about it, and
they all had theories that either didn't sound or taste right. So I
decided to make my own. After a lot of trial and error, I've come up
with a reasonable facsimile that I can make without taking too much time
and without buying an espresso machine or a steamer. Goes like this:
1 press full of Mayorga Counterfeit Cuban (choose your own poison here;
Melitta Buzzworthy is almost as good)
1 teaspoon sugar
a coupla ounces of milk, maybe 1/4" in the bottom of the cup, with the sugar
a $2.99 hand milk foamer from Ikea (I keep one at the house, one at the
apt, and one at work)

Put milk and sugar in the bottom of the cup. Churn it with the foamer
for about 15 seconds. Now genty pour the coffee through that. Drink.
Rocks. All day long.

fd3
Halbert
2004-10-17 03:16:35 UTC
I'm there, dude.
BTORVIK2
2004-10-17 15:36:04 UTC
Post by Mickey
in what was left of my stomach lining.
I finally got myself to stop drinking coffee at noon (except for a cup of decaf
with my cognac at night).

That keeps me down to 8-10 cups a day.

bernie
TimL
2004-10-17 04:33:11 UTC
Post by Mickey
Post by Halbert
Post by Mickey
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
Coffee with 2% milk and 2 sugars. All day long.... ;-)
How can you pollute your coffee with milk and sugar? ;)
Because I drink it all day long. If I drank it black all day, I'd get ulcers
in what was left of my stomach lining.
And the 2% milk and 2 sugars will prevent this? <vbg>
TimL
Mickey
So far, so... ooowwwwww.. good. <G>
lee
2004-10-17 05:39:59 UTC
Post by Mickey
Post by TimL
Post by Mickey
Post by Halbert
Post by Mickey
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it
is
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
Coffee with 2% milk and 2 sugars. All day long.... ;-)
How can you pollute your coffee with milk and sugar? ;)
Because I drink it all day long. If I drank it black all day, I'd get ulcers
in what was left of my stomach lining.
And the 2% milk and 2 sugars will prevent this? <vbg>
So far, so... ooowwwwww.. good. <G>
Reminds me of when I had an ulcer in college. I switched from scotch neat to
scotch and milk <g>...
Halbert
2004-10-17 05:55:35 UTC
On 10/16/04 9:58 PM, in article
Post by Mickey
Post by TimL
Post by Mickey
Post by Halbert
Post by Mickey
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it
is
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
Coffee with 2% milk and 2 sugars. All day long.... ;-)
How can you pollute your coffee with milk and sugar? ;)
Because I drink it all day long. If I drank it black all day, I'd get ulcers
in what was left of my stomach lining.
And the 2% milk and 2 sugars will prevent this? <vbg>
So far, so... ooowwwwww.. good. <G>
Reminds me of when I had an ulcer in college. I switched from scotch neat to
scotch and milk <g>..
Sounds reasonable to me. Then again, I was abducted by aliens, who
force-fed me dark, black coffee through my anus. It amazes me that
ultra-smart aliens who have mastered inter-galactic travel are so fascinated
by the human anus and lower intestinal tract, but, there it is.
lee
Go figure <g>
d***@eek.earth.leek.ink.net
2004-10-17 16:49:57 UTC
Post by Halbert
Sounds reasonable to me. Then again, I was abducted by aliens, who
force-fed me dark, black coffee through my anus. It amazes me that
ultra-smart aliens who have mastered inter-galactic travel are so fascinated
by the human anus and lower intestinal tract, but, there it is.
They were doing it for your own good.

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/01/01/enema/

http://www.springboard4health.com/notebook/health_coffee_enema.html

I love this quote:

"Prepare a quart of coffee, using 2 tablespoons of coffee per quart. The water
should be purified water. Organically grown coffee is best for this procedure.
If you can’t Find organic coffee, Folger’s Regular is of high quality and the
most clean of all commercial brands."

I can see the ads now:

"Only Folger's for my anus!"
"Folger's bend over buzz!"
"Folger's, good from either end."

Demonick
Mickey
"Good to the last drop"
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 12:08:34 UTC
Try real coffee, properly made.
Alex W.
2004-10-17 13:37:16 UTC
Post by Mickey
in what was left of my stomach lining.
Try real coffee, properly made.
I can see Mickey now, shaking his head and muttering "real
coffee? But I already drink Maxwell House."

:-)
Mickey
Only if you ever come to visit, Alex. ;-)
TimL
ROFL!!!
Marc J. Schneiderman
2004-10-17 14:49:40 UTC
Post by Mickey
in what was left of my stomach lining.
Try real coffee, properly made.
It's interesting that if I have a cup of coffee I get heartburn. But if
I have properly made espresso, nothing problematic.

I listened to a report on the radio by the Italian family that has been
in the espresso business since its inception (1500s?). Anyway, the
spokesperson said that if the espresso is made properly, preferably
highly extracted with a good machine or stove top cheapie, the flavors
come through without the caffeine hit of a typical "boiled" type of
coffee maker. I can attest that I don't get the caffeine hit or
heartburn with properly made espresso. That guy really made me
understand why good espresso is so much different.

CigarBaron
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 14:58:22 UTC
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:49:40 -0400, "Marc J. Schneiderman"
Post by Marc J. Schneiderman
Anyway, the
spokesperson said that if the espresso is made properly, preferably
highly extracted with a good machine or stove top cheapie, the flavors
come through without the caffeine hit of a typical "boiled" type of
coffee maker.
100% right, Marc. The art of espresso is to get as much flavor and
complexity as possible w/o caffeine. And yes, a doppio ristretto is actually
lower in caffeine than your typical cup of brewed jaja.
Mickey
2004-10-17 16:20:01 UTC
Post by François Yves Le Gal
Post by Mickey
Because I drink it all day long. If I drank it black all day, I'd get ulcers
in what was left of my stomach lining.
Try real coffee, properly made.
I do drink real coffee, properly made. 100% Kauai, light roast, Braun drip
coffee maker.

Good stuff, man.

Mickey
François Yves Le Gal
2004-10-17 17:10:07 UTC
Post by Mickey
I do drink real coffee, properly made. 100% Kauai, light roast, Braun drip
coffee maker.
Braun drip? Sheeesh.
And what kind of water?
Mickey
2004-10-17 17:16:47 UTC
Post by François Yves Le Gal
Post by Mickey
I do drink real coffee, properly made. 100% Kauai, light roast, Braun drip
coffee maker.
Braun drip? Sheeesh.
And what kind of water?
Texas' finest, from what the Native Indians called "The Land of Good Water",
right out of the Edwards aquifer.

You may be able to get better, but it's not going to be that much better.
;-)
Jeremy
2004-10-17 03:01:23 UTC
Post by Mickey
Coffee with 2% milk and 2 sugars. All day long.... ;-)
Mickey
Did I ever send you coffee?

JJ
Mickey
2004-10-17 03:07:30 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Post by Mickey
Coffee with 2% milk and 2 sugars. All day long.... ;-)
Mickey
Did I ever send you coffee?
JJ
Yes, sir, you did. Excellent coffee, IIRC.

I don't believe I ever returned that particular favor... ;-)
Jeremy
2004-10-17 03:38:39 UTC
Post by Mickey
Yes, sir, you did. Excellent coffee, IIRC.
I don't believe I ever returned that particular favor... ;-)
Judging by my previous exposure to the disparity of your munificence, I
am not sure that I would necessarily benefit from you returning the
favour. :-)

Show me a man who knows his limits, and I will show you a man who has
exceeded them :-) (lower limits are not meant to be breached)

JJ
Mickey
2004-10-17 03:54:24 UTC
Post by Jeremy
Post by Mickey
Yes, sir, you did. Excellent coffee, IIRC.
I don't believe I ever returned that particular favor... ;-)
Judging by my previous exposure to the disparity of your munificence, I
am not sure that I would necessarily benefit from you returning the
favour. :-)
Show me a man who knows his limits, and I will show you a man who has
exceeded them :-) (lower limits are not meant to be breached)
JJ
Munificence? Moi? Hardly. I just like to share my goodies. ;-)

Mickey
Halbert
2004-10-17 03:57:06 UTC
. . . backing away, backing away
Mickey
2004-10-17 04:23:39 UTC
<G>
lee
2004-10-17 05:38:48 UTC
Get a room, you two!
Halbert
Hey, give 'em a break! They're English, after all. Right? right?
lee

Must be from Waco, Lancashire <g>
BTORVIK2
2004-10-17 15:38:34 UTC
Post by lee
Post by Halbert
Post by lee
Get a room, you two!
Hey, give 'em a break! They're English, after all. Right? right?
Mickey's English!?
Must be from Waco, Lancashire <g>
I think you meant Wacko. :-)

bernie
Mickey
2004-10-17 06:44:21 UTC
Post by Halbert
Post by lee
Post by Jeremy
Post by Mickey
Yes, sir, you did. Excellent coffee, IIRC.
I don't believe I ever returned that particular favor... ;-)
Judging by my previous exposure to the disparity of your munificence
Get a room, you two!
Hey, give 'em a break! They're English, after all. Right? right?
English?!? Them's fightin' words, bud.....

JJ is a Limey. My proud heritage is Italian.
John D. Rimmer
2004-10-17 03:57:43 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is
a mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
So I had the coffee with vanilla nut creme flavor. For me, this did the
trick.

For the cigar I had an Amoroso torpedo. I bought a box of these from
you-know-who, and I have been happy with them as far as quality. They are a
bit milder than I'm wanting, now-a-days, but that is what I thought I would
want in the morning. This afternoon I had my Padron 5000 (maduro) and it
was excellent. I was thinking it would have been perfect with the coffee.
I have about 1/3 of the stick left, so I'll find out, tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies. Fun reading.

John
Marc J. Schneiderman
2004-10-17 14:36:42 UTC
Post by John D. Rimmer
What are your favorite beverages with a morning cigar? I'm assuming it is a
mild-med smoke.
I'm thinking of coffee with sweetener and flavored creme...I usually just
have wine or mixed drinks with cigars.
Thanks!
John
Stove top cooked in one of thos cheap espresso makers' espresso. Heavy
cream and very sweet.
CigarBaron
d***@eek.earth.leek.ink.net
2004-10-17 16:06:12 UTC
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:32:41 GMT, "John D. Rimmer" <***@sbcglobal.nte> wrote:

Mexican Oaxacan is an under appreciated coffee and damn good. The bset of the
Oaxacan rival the best of the central americans.

Current coffees in the stable - all green beans :

Oaxaca
Panama
Guatamala Huehuetanango
Ethiopian Harrar
Kenya AA
Costa Rican Tarrazu

Air roasted and brewed by vacuum pot.

Had some Saint Helena a couple of months ago, touted as the rarest and most
expensive coffee in the world. I was NOT impressed. Much prefer any of the
previously mentioned coffees.

Demonick
Joe LaVigne
2004-10-17 17:18:16 UTC
Post by d***@eek.earth.leek.ink.net
Mexican Oaxacan is an under appreciated coffee and damn good. The bset of the
Oaxacan rival the best of the central americans.
Oaxaca
Panama
Guatamala Huehuetanango
Ethiopian Harrar
Kenya AA
Costa Rican Tarrazu
Air roasted and brewed by vacuum pot.
Had some Saint Helena a couple of months ago, touted as the rarest and most
expensive coffee in the world. I was NOT impressed. Much prefer any of the
previously mentioned coffees.
That stuff you sent me was excellent. Made in a drip pot, and it went
quickly... ;-)
--
Joe LaVigne
http://www.hits-buffalo.com